Learn about the types of procedures, testing and recovery process.
Drs. Davis and Schmitz perform surgeries at Swedish Hospital in Englewood, Colorado, which allows them to be better acquainted with the nursing and surgical staff caring for their patients. To contact Swedish Medical Center, please call (303) 788-5000 or view their website Swedish Hospital.
One of our certified physician assistants (PA-C) will be assisting the doctors in the office, hospital and in surgery.
If you are taking an aspirin product or blood thinners such as Coumadin, these will stopped 3-7 days before surgery. Please discuss this with your doctor before stopping as another drug may need to be substituted.
Common Pre-Surgical Testing:
- Lab work
- Chest x-ray
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
Factors that increase surgical risk:
- Over age 60
- Cardiac disease
- Lung disorders
- High blood pressure
- History of prior blood clots
Most major surgeries take approximately 6 weeks to fully recover.
- If you are to receive chemotherapy, this will begin 2-4 weeks after surgery.
- You may start driving after you are off narcotics for 48 hours and are strong enough to brake.
- No heavy lifting and exercise for 6-8 weeks.
- No intercourse for 4-6 weeks after surgery.